It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 am
Change font size

• Advertisement

BC:'Eccentric' pot provider fined $1000

by papapuff » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Kamloops This Week

‘Eccentric’ pot provider fined $1,000

By Tim Petruk - September 15, 2017

A Kamloops man who thought he was helping people by setting up his own informal marijuana dispensary has been fined $1,000 after being found guilty of possession for the purpose of trafficking.

Franco Tulliani was sentenced on Friday in Kamloops provincial court.

The 53-year-old was busted by police with 150 grams of marijuana during a traffic stop on April 28, 2016. In addition to the weed, which was separated in baggies and jars, officers also found a scale and a scoresheet.

Tulliani told court he thought he was helping people and wasn’t looking to get rich.

Kamloops provincial court Judge Roy Dickey said he believed Tulliani was sincere, but that did not make him right.

“He felt that he was assisting others through the sale of marijuana,” the judge said. “He also felt that the selling of the marijuana would ensure the purchasers were not receiving marijuana laced with fentanyl.

“Mr. Tulliani felt, to a large extent, that he was doing a service for others that he felt provided some benefit. I don’t find Mr. Tulliani was selling marijuana for the purpose of making any substantial profit. That was not his motivation.”

Tulliani, who Dickey described as “eccentric,” said he started using marijuana to deal with pain from injuries he suffered in a 2007 car crash, after which he was prescribed opiate painkillers.

“It seems to work and it doesn’t leave me fogged up like the pills,” he said. “Usually when I take a painkiller, I just feel nasty. Marijuana seems to work really good for me.”

Tulliani told court he no longer sells marijuana.

In addition to the fine, which Tulliani was given six months to pay, Dickey also placed him on a mandatory 10-year firearms prohibition.
papapuff

Advertisement

Return to News

• Advertisement