• Advertisement

Alberta RCMP explain what ‘shatter’ is after series of drug-

by papapuff » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Globalnews.ca

July 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Alberta RCMP explain what ‘shatter’ is after series of drug-related arrests

By Emily Mertz
Web Producer Global News

Two men have been arrested and charged with drug-related offences after a search warrant in St. Albert uncovered 49 grams of “shatter” and over 100 grams of cannabis marijuana.

RCMP said officers completed a search of a home on Fleetwood Crescent on April 21 as part of an “extensive drug investigation.”

Dylan Gendron, 20, was charged with two counts of possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking. He is set to appear in St. Albert Provincial Court on July 17.

The second person was charged with simple possession of a controlled substance. He has already entered a guilty plea and received a $350 fine. RCMP said his name is not being released under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

St. Albert RCMP described “shatter” as a “highly potent marijuana derivative that has arrived on the drug scene in the last three to four years.” They explained the substance looks like toffee and is a concentrated form of marijuana. It’s commonly used for “dabbing,” when people inhale vapours while it’s heated up.

“To understand the difference between marijuana in a ‘joint’ and marijuana made into shatter, one needs to look at the concentration levels of Tetrahydrocannabinol, commonly called THC,” RCMP said in a news release Thursday.

“THC is the principal psychoactive ingredient in marijuana that produces the high. Marijuana generally has a THC level close to 12 or 15 per cent. Shatter, however, has THC levels that can exceed 80 to 90 per cent.”

For more information on the health risks associated with shatter and marijuana, RCMP suggested visiting the Health Canada website. They said risks include impaired coordination, decision-making and the ability to drive.

“As shatter is so highly concentrated, it is important that residents recognize it and be educated about its risks so everyone can be a part of keeping our community safe.”

Health Canada says shatter, budder, wax, honeycomb and rosin are often the strongest cannabis products. Many are made from butane hash oil (BHO) using different processes while others, like rosin, are made without solvents.

Two Calgarians were arrested and charged earlier this week after a traffic stop in southern Alberta.

RCMP said police seized 18 grams of shatter, 298 grams of marijuana, 4.4 grams of cocaine, as well as significant amounts of acid, MDMA and $2,980 in cash.

In a separate investigation in Red Deer, police arrested and charged two people and seized “significant amounts of drugs.”

More than 330 grams of cocaine and 31 grams of shatter were part of that seizure, according to the Alberta Law Enforcement Response Team.
papapuff

Advertisement

by papapuff » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 am

MetroNews Canada

What's the matter with shatter? Marijuana derivative sparks debate

Police and users are squaring off on the potent marijuana concentrate

By: Kevin Maimann Metro Published on Sat Jul 15 2017

Alberta police are sounding the alarm about a trending drug that one user says is crucial to her well being.

St. Albert RCMP announced last Thursday they had seized 49 grams of the highly concentrated marijuana derivative “shatter” from a home in Fleetwood Crescent, where they also seized more than 100 grams of marijuana.

They arrested two men during the seizure, made on April 21 following an extensive investigation.

“As shatter is so highly concentrated, it is important that residents recognize it and be educated about its risks so everyone can be a part of keeping our community safe,” RCMP said in a press release.

Mounties describe shatter as a “highly potent” marijuana derivative that is hard and toffee-like in appearance.

While marijuana generally has a THC level of 12-15 per cent, shatter can have levels of the psychoactive ingredient up to 90 per cent, RCMP say.

Edmonton Police Service drug expert Det. Guy Pilon said shatter started showing up about three years ago in Edmonton and police have been seeing more of it this year.

He said police have concerns about the making of the drug, in which butane is often used to extract the THC from marijuana plant leftovers – a process also called "dabbing" – which can cause explosions.

“We have concerns with the potency, and we have concerns with people trying to make it in their homes, because it tends to be explosive,” Pilon said.

But one Edmonton woman said shatter has been crucial in her recovery from cancer.

Donna Mackenzie, president of the United Cannabis Coalition, had cancer of the esophagus in 2012 and went through chemotherapy, radiation treatment and surgery to remove her throat and most of her stomach.

“It wasn’t until I found shatter and the concentrates that I was able to eat again, after all the stuff that the cancer caused,” Mackenzie told Metro.

She said the high concentration of THC is exactly what has helped her overcome nausea and loss of appetite.

“It’s been a year and a half, and I’ve gone from 99 pounds to 160 pounds. It’s been amazing, the difference. And I’m out and I’m active and I’m living again," she said. "It’s really exciting, actually. I highly recommend it.”

Mackenzie has a medical cannabis card to purchase from licensed producers, but they don’t sell shatter.

It was her son, an employee at a Victoria, B.C. dispensary, who first suggested she tried it. Now, she has travel back and forth to dispensaries in Victoria because she doesn’t want to buy it on the street in Edmonton.

Mackenzie said the problem is not the drug itself, but the fact that it’s illegal and unregulated.

“It’s really hurting patients, as far as I’m concerned,” she said.
papapuff

Return to News

• Advertisement