Follow
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:27 pm
Change font size

• Advertisement

Updates, Warnings and Suggestions by Gayle Quin

by tedsmith » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:52 pm

Updates, Warnings and Suggestions
by Gayle Quin
There are many wonderful announcements to make this spring. The club is finally getting out of debt! Credits have been extended to $10 and emergencies are accessible every 4 months. Prices for larger quantities of medicine will be coming down soon, for the first time ever. There will be more changes to come! The staff has started receiving benefits as well. A very special thanks to everyone for the support through the hard times!
The second year of UVSS Hempology 101 Lecture Series is officially over, and we would like to give a very grateful thank-you to Scott McDonald, Paul Hornby, Jason Wilcox, and Mark Emery who appeared as guest speakers, as well as to the wonderful folks that helped with all the technical stuff to get it on-line, and those that stayed at work so we could go. It was a very wonderful year and I personally am already excited about 2008/2009. I can’t thank Ted enough for giving me the opportunity of teaching a couple of lectures and so living life as I see it should be- with education being free. You can view the year’s lecture series and the convention on the Hempology 101 website. Speaking of which, thanks for your patience while we have been revamping the Hempology and Cannabis Buyers Clubs web-pages. The changes are many and they keep getting better with more info being added daily through our new joint interactive forum of Hempology 101 and the Buyers Club. The 9th Annual Cannabis Convention was the best attended with 150 people watching live and on-line. 420 is on Sunday this year so come out to Centennial Square and join one of the worlds largest 420 celebrations! Sign-up for Reach For The Pot starts then and continues until April 30. You can pick up and drop off forms at the club. The tournament begins May 7, starting at 7pm at the Beacon Hill Band Shell.
Here is the recipe for Super Treats for dogs, I hope you find your pets friends enjoy them.4 cups barley flour, 2 cups chana (chick pea) flour, 2 cups wild oats flour, 4 cups flax seed water (¾ cup flax seed simmered in 4 cups of water for an hour), 3 tbsp hemp hearts, 2 tablespoons hemp protein, 2 tbsps powdered kelp, 1½ tbsp lecithin, 1 ½ tbsp molasses, 8 fluid oz cannabis infused olive oil and a dash of sea salt. Mix well and roll into 1-1½ inch round logs and then cut into biscuits. Bake at 200 F for 4 hours, then turn the oven off and leave them in over night. You want them dry and crunchy. These are excellent for arthritis, cancer, tumors, lung and bladder problems. For more help with digestion add some Fennel seeds, for fleas and internal parasites add garlic or pumpkin seeds.
We have purchased 3 button makers, and plan to make stickers, posters, postcards, and other propaganda material, so if you’re inclined to draw or have an interesting idea, we are looking for submissions!
Please be aware we only have about 25 CBC of C t-shirts left. They are made of organically grown hemp and cotton, sewn sweat-shop free in Vancouver,and still come in a variety of colours. It could be some time before we make any more.
Identify and remove the cause of the Hep C attack.
Ingest 1/2 -1 teaspoon of Vit. C (calcium ascorbate) in a shot glass of water or juice every hour until bowel tolerance is reached and then back off by ½ tsp.
Take Swedish Bitters 3 times a day. Start with 3 drops 3 times a day and increase by 1 drop each dose each day.
Rub Calendula oil on skin thoroughly over liver area. Soak a piece of flannel the size of your liver with 1 or 2 tablespoons of Swedish Bitters and apply to your liver. Cover with a piece of plastic bag or wrap, then a warm towel. GO TO BED. Change poultice 2 or 3 times a day.
Do not consume oily foods including nuts. Do not consume alcohol of any type.
Raw veggie and fruit juices are best, making sure you include pineapple. Drink teas of Milk Thistle, Dandylion Root and Leaf, Red Clover, Yellow Dock or Oregon Grape Roots, and Rose Hips. Also ingest Cannabis every day as it stimulates your liver to produce an enzyme to assist it in self healing.
Finally, thanx to everyone who showed up on Dec 17 to protest Bill C-26. Here is where to send letters to the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights if you have comments about Bill C-26.
Miriam Burke
Clerk of the Committee:
Room 6-21
131 Queen Street
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6 Canada
Tel: (613) 996-1553
Fax: (613) 996-1962
E-mail: JUST@parl.gc.ca
Erica Pereira
Committee Clerk:
Sixth Floor
131 Queen Street
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6 Canada
Tel: (613) 943-9981

Erica Pereira
Committee Clerk:
Sixth Floor
131 Queen Street
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6 Canada
Tel: (613) 943-9981
LEGALIZATION BY EDUCATION
tedsmith

Advertisement

by tedsmith » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:06 pm

Updates, Warnings and Suggestions by Gayle Quin Digest #18

A reminder that the Club has new hours! Mon-Sat: 10am-7pm, Sundays, Christmas Day and New Years Day: 11am-6pm. The International Hempology 101 Society will be celebrating its 13th Anniversary on Sept. 3. We meet at Centennial Square, 7pm, and march to the Legislative Buildings for a photo shoot. Come get your picture taken with our new mascot, Herb. Don’t forget this September 10th will be the start of the 3rd year of Hempology 101’s free lecture series at the University of Victoria. The room # will be posted in early September. Keep updated by checking out hempology.ca or asking at the club.

Ted has started a new tradition for his birthday this year – a picnic starting at 4:20 on Mt. Tolmie, June 22. Hope to see you there next year! We changed the location for the Cannabis Day 4:20 from Beacon Hill Park to the Victoria Courthouse. It was very well attended, and to everyone’s great surprise, Herb the Hempster, made a grand first guest appearance. Thanx to the Victoria police for not hassling us too much.

Also, if you are interested in volunteering or helping stop Bill C26, please come to the board meetings. They are open to all members and are posted on the chalk board behind my desk. Next meeting is Aug 19. If you can’t make it out, please take the time to write letters.

Reach for the Pot has ended for another year with Peanut’s Crew taking the trophy bongs this year. Congratulations to captain Anthony and crew Tim, Sylvia and Ryan “High in BC” Bushby! We hope you had as much fun playing as we had watching!

The CBC of C website keeps getting better. Check out the new forums at cbc-canada.ca, as we have changed from cbc-canada.com. Likewise hempology is now at hempology.ca, not hempology.com. Thanks for all your patience through the transition to the new web addresses, and a thanks to those who have been slaving to make them so great.

We have been designing new logos for both the CBC of C and Hempology 101. We will be making buttons and new t-shirts. Thanks to everyone who bought a CBC of C t-shirt! They are a one-time printing, with only a few left.

I would like to put out the first call to artists interested in donating to the Club’s 6th Annual Silent Art Auction on Nov 15. This year we will be putting the proceeds to starting our research foundation and pharmaceutical company. For more information please read Ted’s article about the Cannabis Research Foundation.ot We are in for truly exciting times ahead! Thanks for everyone’s support in our efforts to renovate the law.
tedsmith

by tedsmith » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Updates, Warnings and Suggestions:

Cannabis Digest #19
by Gayle Quin

First of all, with this expanded issue – the 19th! Edition of Cannabis Digest - I’d like to say thank you to all for your loyal readership, your bravery for searching beyond the “Norm”, and for letting me help with one of the most personal aspects of your lives – your health!

The Club is gearing up for the 6th Annual Silent Art Auction on Sat Nov 15 at 4:20 pm and this year is particularly exciting. Come help us celebrate the beginnings of our research foundation.

October is a busy and fun month. Halloween is my favourite time of year and now it’s even better with Hempology 101 having its 2nd Annual Costume Contest! It’s going to be hard to imagine being better than last years! You can see pictures on www.hempology.ca. This year there will be sponsored prizes for the top three costumes. The festivities will commence at 7:00 at the Law Courts, and expect a visit from Herb the Hempster!

We now have a calendar of events at cbc-canada.ca on the forums, or link through hempology.ca. Please look through and join what should become one of the worlds’ most active on-line forums. We will soon be creating our own hempology.tv on-line. In the mean time, you can see last years lectures on you-tube, as well as watching

watching live every Wednesday afternoon at 3:30 pm at hempology.ca. It’s the third year of our free, non-credited, UVIC, Hempology 101 course. This year we have added a power point presentation, as well as having exciting guest speakers as usual. There will be an extended class October 15th with quest speaker Dr. Paul Hornby teaching about Cannabis Chemistry.
Hempology 101 and the CBC of C have the first line of buttons off the press for sale now. There are two designs and three sizes to choose from! We’ll soon have our first set of post cards also! Watch for t-shirts, stickers and much more in the future.
This winter will be Hempology 101’s 10th Annual Convention –coming soon- this February! It’s one of my favourite times of the year!

I know there has been a lot of excitement with the Federal election going on, but please don’t forget there is also Municipal elections coming soon. It would be a sad state for Victoria if Phil Lucas was to become a part of our cities officials. Especially since the wonderful Rose Henry announced she will be running for a seat on city council. Rose is committed to be a community advocate with a grass roots approach, such as providing holistic medicines from a preventative prospective as well as community healing. Rose has been an active member of the community for 25 years, showing support for the CBC of C, VICS, and the needle exchange since their beginnings. Rose commits meet with community regularly and to be easily accessible. Roses campaign slogans are “Just Do It” and “Vote Real People In With Real Experiences”! The first All Candidates Meeting is on October 22 at 7pm at St. John’s the Devine on Quadra St.

So on November 15th, please come to International Medical Marijuana Day at noon at the BC Health Building on Blanshard St., go vote, and then come to the Art Auction! It’s going to be a busy day so eat and sleep well the night before!

Our bakers are now working 7 days a week but it has been difficult at times keeping up with the demand. Thanks to everyone for their patience with the edible and skin products, as we have been training new bakers and the products have not been as consistent as usual. At the same time we have changed the recipes again, in some cases, because we realized the last baker did not make some adjustments that we had requested. So in the long run our products will be much better, but it does mean the amount of leaf we need is going to continue increasing. If you know about anyone with good, dry, pesticide-free leaf they could donate to the club, please let us know.

Wild Yam is specific for Multiple Sclerosis and women’s hormone replacement therapies. The protective covering of nerves in our brains is made of mylan. Progesterone is produced in the gonads and is what the brain uses to make mylan. The brain concentrates progesterone up to 20 X higher than the rest of the body, and by the age of 30, 50% of women have quit producing it. The reason to use Wild Yam as massage oil is, progesterone is absorbed 40 X more through the skin than when taken orally. Bile in the stomach kills most progesterone and makes the liver work too hard to process the rest. The same dose orally has to be 70X higher than when used topically. You can easily make your own oil at home by soaking 1 oz of Wild Yam in 1 cup of olive oil for 1 month, (one full moon to the next).
tedsmith

by tedsmith » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:41 pm

GREEN LION SALVE IS HERE
Updates, Warnings and Suggestions by Gayle Quin, Cannabis Digest #20

Green Lion Salve is our newest product. The CBC of C now provides 27 edible and topical cannabis products as alternatives to smoking. The majority of our members prefer to both eat and smoke the herb and we have even more products in mind, though space in our store is limited. Green Lion Salve offers superior pain relief when gently rubbed into affected areas. The action is similar to Tiger Balm (without the burn) if massaged into arthritic lumps and bumps, sore achy joints, old injuries or
your forehead for headaches.

Essential oils of : (by the drop) 4 Eucalyptus, 4 Camphor, 3 Menthol, 7 Lavender, 4 Tee Tree, 3 Wintergreen, 5 Cinnamon and 3 Peppermint in a base of Regular massage oil (see Digest # 5) for directions for massage oils) and bees wax provide warmth, increased circulation and pain relief as well as the healing benefits of the other herbs. To make salve you add 1/3 to ½ part beeswax to the amount of oil used, depending on if you like a soft or hard salve.
It is my great pleasure to announce that the Club is officially out of debt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank-you all so very much for your continued patronage and support. As a result, in Dec we cut the wait time for emergencies to 3 months. Also the credit system is working very well and you may now work your way up to $15 credit. Expect more member benefits in 2009.

One of the best ways to keep up to Ted, myself and the rest of the club is to take your own health into your own hands. No one but you knows what’s best for you, and physical exercise is best for Every Body. As I was recovering from a HepC attack that very nearly killed me, I started working out sitting in a chair. I had not even enough strength to stand for long. But now, every Wednesday night- unless there is a Hempology 101 meeting- we go to the Esquimalt Recreation Centre for a couple of hours of exercise, rest and relaxation. There is a full gym with equipment and trainers for every level of fitness, age and ability. The swimming pool is warm and purified with a natural type of chlorine that is close to salt so environmentally sensitive people like me can tolerate the water. There is also a warmer swirly pool that will make you laugh years off, a hot tub to melt into, as well as a sauna and steam room.

Our First Annual Film Festival went off without any problems and seemed to be well enjoyed. Hope to see you all there next year, or come to Naniamo March 5 for the second showing! Watch our web-site for the exact time and place. We will also be going to UBC later in the spring. With each passing year this event will improve.

Sunday Jan 25 was the CBC of C’s 13th Anniversary! We celebrated with tunes spun at the Club and the excellent food in the Pot Luck surpassed my expectations! Thanks to all who brought a pot and got lucky!
UVSS Hempology 101 Lecture Series is under way again and we have been moved again as well. Look for us in the Clearihue Bldg, room A 303.
The media launch of the research project on January 27 from noon to 1 pm at U-VIC in the Cornett Bldg, room A-125, went very well. A Channel News was there and aired a piece on the 5 o’clock news that may be viewed on our web page. Join the forums to stay in touch.

The 10th Annual Cannabis Convention will be held on Feb 15, 2009. Admission is FREE! Held at U-VIC in the David Lam Auditorium from 1-4:20 pm. Look for Ted’s special article for the guest line-up. We will have a limited edition of T-Shirts available for this very special Anniversary. I know I say this every year, but this year is going to be the best convention ever!!!
tedsmith

by tedsmith » Fri May 22, 2009 12:10 pm

Updates, Suggestions and Warnings Cannabis Digest #21
by Gayle Quin

Spring has finally sprung, and we’re ready for lots of fun!
We are very pleased to announce with the growing membership, the CBC of C has been able to reduce it’s prices for dried herb again. This is just one of the many benefits of being part of a club. The staff have also received more benefits, now with 2 weeks vacation a year, and 3 months paternity leave. Thank you very much Ted, from fellow members and staff alike.
The University Lecture series is over for another year and it was lots of fun. Thanks very much too all the guest speakers. Don’t forget if you missed the lectures you can watch them on You-tube! I am also pleased to announce the Chronic of the Year award goes to John Martin.
On May 2nd Hempologists accompanied Herb to Vancouver to attend the Marijuana March for the first time. We made a great impression on Vancouver. Check out the video and pictures in our forums at: http://www.cbc-canada.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1315
On July 1st we will be celebrating Cannabis Day by hot-boxing the courthouse for the 2nd year, though we have celebrated the event here since 1996. We’ll be meeting at 4:20 as usual. Come get your picture taken with our mascot, Herb. We will also play REACH FOR THE POT with the first 8 contestants that approach Ted.
This April 28th marks the beginning of the 5th annual tournament of Reach for the Pot! Come one, come all, to the greatest game show on Earth! It starts shortly after 7pm at the Beacon Hill Band Shell every Weds night until the final game June 24. I challenge you to find more entertainment and laughs for free, than watching Ted in his underwear trying to get people to guess how much Hemp and Co. charges “within a dollar!”
Due to the increase of our knowledge and the awareness of my fellow members that cannabis is truly a remarkable medicine, we would like to offer the sign-up procedure to our longer standing members that have never had a proper introduction to our alternative products. Please see the front desk attendant for an appointment.
Look for more information about our work at the CBC of C and Hempology 101 by reading Ted’s first letter from the president starting page 1 or hempology.ca. Peace. G.Q.
tedsmith

by Steph » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:31 am

Updates, Warnings and Suggestions (Cannabis Digest #22)
by Gayle Quin

Summer is going full force and it’s been challenging to keep up to the growing numbers. I’d like to thank everyone for their patience with the new front desk security measures. More members are turning into cookie monsters and the need for leaf is great-fully appreciated if you find some under a cabbage leaf. Leaf is still usable for baking if it has been dry screened for hash.

Team 420 has been launched with the participation in the 5th Annual Vancouver Islander Dodgeball Championships. Herb and Wonderful Buzz were there and if you missed it you can see some of the highlights on hempology.ca YouTube channel. We won our first game and then proceeded to get smoked! Herb did win the best individual costume prize, though, as he played in 5 games. We had the only cheer leaders in the arena, and a great time was had by all. Team 420 is holding its 1st Frisbee Golf Tournament in East Sooke Park on Sept 27th. There is a city bus that goes to Sooke Pot Holes turn-off, and we will be able to give people lifts from there. We will end with a pot luck picnic and end with a 4:20 moment of silence. Buy your TEAM 420 t-shirts, stickers and buttons at Sacred Herb, our exclusive dealer!

The 5th Annual Reach for the Pot Tournament was a smokin’ success! Girls On Top had their eyes on the trophy bongs from the very first blast! The team consisted of Brandi Woods, Kristen Mann, Karli Thiessen and Steph Dahl. From their performance this year, I’d say they are a force not easily reckoned with so start studying now if you want to be in next year’s tournament. You can also watch the shows on hempology.ca or YouTube if you were not able to attend in person. We had guest tourists come all the way from California just to watch Reach for the Pot live.
Hempology 101 is celebrating its 14th Anniversary this September! We are meeting at 7pm Wednesday the 9th at City Hall. Come march to the Leg with us to take postcard photo at 8pm with Herb and to celebrate another wonder-fun-filled year of the International Hempology 101 Society in Victoria, B.C! We will also be preparing everyone to convince the Canadian Senate to stop Bill C-15.

Ginger Cannoil is our newest product. It is regular Cannoil infused with ginger and is ready to use on all your favorite food. It has all the benefits of Cannoil, as well as being an intestinal system cleanser, reduces spasms and cramps and stimulates circulation. Ginger Cannoil is a strong antioxidant and antimicrobial for internal sores and wound, useful for bowel disorders, fever, hot flashes, indigestion, nausea, motion sickness and vomiting.

The UVSS Hempology 101Club starts the 4th year of free, non-credited Lecture Series on Sept 9th at 3:30 in room C111 of the Clearihue building. We will be following with our 4:20 meetings directly after at the fountain.

VIU (Vancouver Island University in Nanaimo) will be hosting their first ever Hempology 101 4:20 meeting on Thursday, Sept 10. We will hopefully be doing some broom bashing along the way if you feel ambitious.

September should see things getting back into some kind of order, so if you want to help out with the research project, Committee meetings are posted on the chalkboard behind my desk. Please come and have some fun. The Friday afternoon street survey is one of the projects that have resulted from these meetings. It’s a great way to educate and inform people.

Hempology 101 will be holding the 3rd Annual Halloween costume contest on Oct 31 at the Victoria Courthouse, 7pm. Last year we gave out over $300 in prizes donated from local stores for the best 3 costumes. Good luck everyone and smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.
"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat." Genesis 1:29
Steph

by kristen.wscr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Updates, Warnings and Suggestions by Gayle Quin.

Wow! What a summer. First, there was my trip with Kristen to Seattle’s HempFest. As that wasn’t enough excitement for one
summer, as soon as we got back, it was off to Ontario to meet activists in Toronto, and Ted’s family in southern Ontario. Toronto was amazing! With clubs well established and doing fine, there are several new places blooming, and room for lots more. We were well received, everyone was glad to get Bill C-15 flyers (thanks Kristen), and very happy to hear about the near completion of our recipe book. Thank you Owen for all your help!
November is one of my favorite months. We had a wonderful art auction this year, with many beautiful pieces donated. We managed to raise about $1400, which was donated to our member Kevin to help with his legal troubles. The Art Auction was first started to pay our lawyer bill. Now that we are out of debt, we would like to use the funds to help members that may get negatively involved with the law, in regards to their choice of medicine. Congratulations to Mayor Dean Fortin on the occasion of his first signing of the International Medical Marijuana Day Proclamation. This is the 8th year that the city council of Victoria has supported us with this proclamation, and we graciously thank past Mayor Allan Lowe for all his support in this endeavour, and his support in trying to work with the Federal Government and the MMAR. We wish him all the best in his future
endeavours. We had a happy and incident free event at the Ministry of Health on November 15th, for the 10th anniversary of the International Medical Marijuana Day cookie giveaway.
We are pleased to announce that the North Island Compassion Club is up and running in Courtney, although keeping a low profile. With a little help from friends, they hope to open a more visible establishment, as well as starting to offer alternative products. Look for their phone number on the back page of the Cannabis Digest. This leads me to let you know that the C.D. will be having a face lift. Starting with the next issue, we are switching to a news paper format. We are also pleased to announce Colleen O’Neill (co-founder of VICS) has joined as writing staff for the newspaper. Also, Andrew Brown has accepted the challenge of Editor-in-Chief, and Brandi is in charge of lay-out and design. WOW! What a long way we’ve come! Now we will have room for more in-depth articles, as well as extensive member profiles and stories. So interested writers should curl up and stay cozy this winter with a pencil in hand and some nice hemp paper. Happy writing!
Hempology’s 3rd Annual Costume Contest was very well attended. This poor puppy was fighting off a bug so she had to stay and guard the store. The Reefer Reaper stole the show and first prize! Cellene Moon Goddess shone her way to second place with Bumblebee hot on her tail. A very special thanks to our sponsors (Trippy's, The Sacred Herb, Old Nick's, and the International Hempology 101 Society) for donating such great prizes.
An updated version of the Research Study is currently being reviewed. Watch for the new version soon. If you'd like to get out and meet people, every Friday at about noon a few folks head out to do street surveys. Please feel free to come and join those going. It’s a great way to volunteer for the Club. PLEASE NOTE WE ARE SUSPENDING ALL MEETINGS FOR THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER. Thanks for the continued support of PHONE JAM. Please also mention Bill C-6.
Oatmeal cookies are back on the menu. For those of you who like baking, here’s the recipe: 4 cups flour, 4 cups wild oats, 4 tsp. baking soda, 2 tsp. salt/kelp, 6 tsp. powdered cinnamon and 4 tsp. powdered cloves. Mix well. In another bowl mix 5 eggs, 1 ½ Cups Cannabutter, 1 cups raw sugar, 1 cup honey and 1 cup of chopped organic dried apricots. Make about 45 cookies and bake at 250oF for 25 minutes. You can learn how to make the cannabutter in Digest #5. Decarboxylation techniques in the next Digest!
kristen.wscr

by pablofunk » Sat May 08, 2010 11:57 am

UPDATES, WARNINGS, AND SUGGESTIONS

Cannabis Digest #24

By Gayle Quin & Ted Smith
This is a most exciting start to the new year. There have been no charges laid in connection with the Bake-Op. We have just celebrated our 14th Anniversary of the Club with a small party at the store. A big thanx to everyone who helped make food, and helped us throughout the last year. We are expanding faster than ever right now, and it is even hard for the staff to keep up with all the changes, additions, and extra projects that Ted has planned.

With Parliament taking an extended vacation, Bill C-15 has been abolished. Please look for a new improved Bill C-? coming this spring! Ted and I would like to express our thanks to Kristen, for her hard work in organizing the phone jam; as well, a big thanks to everyone who wrote, phoned, or emailed Parliament and Senate. Every little bit of help counts. Our efforts have put us on the forefront of grass roots cannabis activism in Canada. We have organized two rallies against Bill C-26 and Bill C-15, both of which were attended by NDP MP Denise Savioe and Liberal MP Dr. Keith Martin. And the phone jam was picked up across the country as one of the few ways to get our messages to decision makers. Please read Matthew Elrod’s expanded article for more information on how to get ready for the next round of proposed drug laws.

Thanks to everyone for their patience through the bakery’s transitional period. All limits on baked goods have been lifted—although we appreciate a warning phone call, or coming in to pre-pay for larger orders. Though we have not found a permanent spot for the bakery, we should not experience cookie supply problems again. Another exciting thing to happen is the on-line release of our cookbook. It’s an on-going piece of work, so there will be additions as we expand our product line, or improve our techniques. We always appreciate feedback—that’s how we come up with new products in the first place!

My favourite time of year is fast approaching. This year is our 11th Cannabis Convention, and an incredible line-up of people are expected to speak. It’s an intense, knowledge-packed four hours. If you can’t get out, the lectures will be posted on YouTube, and soon posted on the <hempology.ca> website—as we are working on a video section.
As if we didn’t have enough to do already, we are hosting the 1st Annual Cannabis Convention in Naniamo, on March 28. With much help from Andrew, Hempology 101 has managed to start a student club at Vancouver Island University, in Naniamo. Andrew has organized a couple of film showings at VIU, and we know there is enough interest in the area to take it to the next level. We are looking forward to starting many more Hempology 101 clubs at post-secondary schools, with a UBC starting next fall.

In November, we began doing weekly deliveries to members who live on the other side of the Malahat. We go as far as Courtney, so please contact the front desk if you or someone you know needs this service. We can also sign up new members along the way, if proper medical documentation is provided. The best surprise so far was finding that the North Island Compassion Club is still operating, and we now have their contact info listed in the Cannabis Digest. We have given the club a baking lesson—with about 20 folks in attendance—and are supplying them with some food and skin products until they have the capacity to do it all themselves. We hope to help form clubs in several cities on the Island, and eventually eliminate the need for deliveries.

I almost forgot to tell you about our summer trip to Toronto—it was very enlightening to me. We get this little halo that we glow about, here on the island, that the rest of humanity gets very jealous about when they get a glimpse of it. There are a lot of people who are kept isolated, scared to help their fellow man, and being forced to live less-than-honest lives, simply for their choice of medicine. At the eight clubs I have visited across Canada, there has been a different welcome at every one. Only The Dispensary in Vancouver would sign me up as member, having the same mandate as our club—proof of a permanent physical disease or condition. It is wise to travel with a copy of your doctor’s note, as the Rainbow Club in Toronto would serve me three times as a visitor without having to fill in there registration form. Most clubs in Toronto require a doctor to fill out a registration form. Although you don’t have to have a recommendation to use cannabis, you have no choice in letting your doctor know what you intend upon doing, because the club’s name is on the letter head.

The folks at HUMAN were just amazing. They have their office in a Professional Health Care Building, and have Alternative/Nutritional care givers on staff. They have been in their new space for nearly a year, and are well on their way—helping to improve the lives of people through the use of cannabis. The most disturbing part of our visit was the recurring theme of having to hide—mostly out of fear of being robbed with no means for recourse, not being able to ask for assistance from our supposed civic protectors.

The club is soon to release the second phase of the research study. We are comparing costs and benefits of cannabis use with that of pharmaceuticals. Often people will only listen to dollars instead of sense. Kristen and a small core of volunteers will be starting personal interviews soon. The short street quizzes we hold on Friday afternoons are a lot of fun, but we have put them off until the weather gets better. We’re finding it a great way to gather information and educate people at the same time. Please leave your name and contact into at the front desk if you would like to help with either research project.

We have been given a pile of unassembled copies of The Cultivation Game—a fun board game locally developed in the ’90s. John Taylor also made the Finger Hockey Game you sometimes see at the club. You can buy them at the Sacred Herb—the exclusive dealer of Hempology 101 and TEAM 420 products. By the time this is published, though, our stickers, buttons, t-shirts, postcards, and board game should be available in more locations. If your local head shop does not sell our stuff, please try to encourage them to get some of our products on their shelves. Most of our activism is supported by donations, patients, and growers, so the extra revenue sources will help us to educate the public further about cannabis.
Every little town needs a little help; be it a co-op, a delivery system, a club, or friendly neighbours helping each other! Soon we will be releasing the general operations manual of the club to help others gain a better understanding of the daily functions of our unique enterprise. After that we will be releasing a best practices manual for medical growers. These two documents, combined with the cookbook we just published, will provide the ABC’s of medical cannabis production and distribution. Best of luck to others starting community-based dispensaries like ours. There is an unfortunate trend towards businesses selling medical cannabis products and MMAR licenses, and can only be curbed by building cooperative ventures instead.
pablofunk

by pablofunk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:42 pm

From Cannabis Digest Issue 26

By Gayle Quin

The summer has gone by in a whirl, and through it all we have been blessed with meeting some very brave and special people.
Since last fall, Jim, Ted, myself, and some other brave souls from the club, have been delivering to home bound members up and down the island. It has been a roller-coaster of emotions for sure. We have had members thank us for the ability to hold their daughter’s wedding at home on their own property with, simply, the help of two Ryanols per day to combat the pain of fibromyalgia, and offering their yard for Ted and I to pitch a tent in anytime we want. Some have shared their yards and drawn maps to their favourite swimming holes for us.
“I’m just an old hippy who knows cannabis is good medicine,” is a statement I hear over and over again, while delivering medicine.
There have been those with crippled and deformed hands, willing to endure through the pain of baking so others can enjoy their cookies. We’ve had people able to enjoy the simple pleasure of walking again with the help of our arnica massage oil. There have been those who have broken into tears of remorse, sorrow, and delight, sharing the greatest gift of all—their emotions. And there is need for so much more.
People need help through their therapies. There is nothing more frustrating than being told you need to do this or that, when you don’t have the energy to get out of your pyjamas!
I am reminded on every trip how lucky we are to live in a very special part, of a very special planet. We are rich with human resources, if we learn to access and help each other—especially those in the greatest of need. How can we say that we live in a compassionate society, when folks who are disabled and hurting struggle to look after each other, or worse, homebound and unknown? So, if you know of anyone that could use a helping hand, pleases give them our number or call for them yourself.
I’ve been brought to tears many times during these visits, but it helps me to keep going.
Autumn brings about my favourite Spiritual event of the year (next to Winter solstice)—All Hallows’ Eve, or Halloween to non-Pagans. For me, it’s a time of reflecting on, and thanking, our ancestors. The “who we are and where we came from” is what shapes the “where we are going and who we are becoming.” It’s also a time to give special thanks to all who have helped me through the year. For me, it feels like New Year’s Eve. It is time for settling into the cozy warmth, and to enjoy and digest the harvests of the year, and the things I have learned.
And it is also time for Hempology 101’s Annual Costume Contest. It used to take me all year to decide what to dress-up as, but with Mr. Organized around, I don’t have that problem anymore. See you at the Court House at 7 p.m.!
Opps! I got excited and forgot to tell you about the day before! Sat. Oct. 30 is Team 420’s 2nd Annual Frisbee-Golf Tournament. We meet in East Sooke Park, and play between 2 and 4 p.m. It’s a lot of fun, and the park provides a spectacular setting. In case you didn’t know, we have made portable targets so we can set up a course anywhere, and have no environmental impact except for our foot-prints and ashes.
Team 420 has monthly games nights in the fields of the University West (UVic) the 3rd Thurs. of every month. Over the winter we will be playing frisbee-golf each week. In Spring, we will kick things into high gear with Team 420 entering into the TC 10K, The Zone Dodgeball Tournament, and regular California kickball at the school if enough people show up. The University West field is essentially between Quadra X Hillside X Blanchard (near Blanchard Courts) and the monthly events start at 8 p.m.
We are going to hold a Craft Night for club members and other volunteers. At the first meeting, we will most likely be making hemp pom-poms for Team 420 events, and deciding what folks are interested in doing. Hope to see you on Oct. 28 at 7:30 p.m.
Ted and I have been going to Vancouver to help start a Hempology 101 Student Club at the University of British Columbia. We met two very inspiring young men, one with a medical cannabis interest, and another who wants to get the University growing hemp and experimenting with its many uses. There is every reason to suspect the UBC Hempology 101 club will be bigger and more active than the club at the University of Victoria.
Finally, International Medical Marijuana Day is fast approaching. We need donations for the art auction as soon as possible, as we like to promote the artists and show off the work in the club for a few weeks before the auction. For those who do not know, we have celebrated Nov. 15 as International Medical Marijuana Day in Victoria, since 1995. We have a rally at the Ministry of Health, and organize a silent art auction to raise funds for court and other legal troubles. Last year, we donated all of the proceeds to a member, Kevin Wilde, who had been busted growing a small number of plants for his personal use and was evicted from his home as a result. This year, we need the money for our bakery trial, and appreciate both the donations of art and the money folks spend at the auction.
The holiday season brings my favourite event—Cannabis Caroling. Every year, on the Wednesday night before Christmas, we march around town singing songs about cannabis and hot-boxing various government buildings. We start at the Ministry of Health, but it does not take long before we go to City Hall and hot-box the front alcove.  The week after, we hot-box the front steps of the courthouse to bring in the New Year.  For more events check out the events listing on page five, or the hempology.ca forums.

Safe travels everyone.
pablofunk

by pablofunk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:30 am

UPDATES, WARNINGS, AND SUGGESTIONS
by Gayle Quin

All I can start with is WOW! What a year it’s been. December always makes me reflect. What happened to the year, and how am I going to get through this winter healthier? There is no time to think about next year. The single most important thing to be aware of is the fact that Bill S-10 is still alive and well. It has been passed by the Senate (which was recently stacked by Harper), so we feel it best to target Michael Ignatieff and ask “what the heck are you going to do about the Harprercons?” Please call, write, or e-mail every day—it’s free, but we won’t be soon if Harper isn’t stopped!
We’ve been having street meets twice a week since March—fridays at noon we are across the street from the Empress in front of the Legislative Buildings, and saturdays we are roaming in different locations (which are posted on the white board at the club, and on-line in the forums at hempology.ca.) They are a lot of fun and we get a great response from motorists and passer-bys alike.
The best responses so far have been during the roaming meets, with the corner of MacKenzie and Shelbourne ranking first in honks, followed closely by the Gabriola Island ferry line-up where they laid on their horns while boarding the ferry. I can’t wait to go back next July for next year’s Film Fest! Sooke takes third place, and the Galloping Goose over-pass (by Town and Country) fourth. We hung the LEGALIZE banner over the side while six of us held “Stop S-10” and “Honk for Hemp” signs. There should be some pictures at < HYPERLINK "http://www.hempology.ca" www.hempology.ca> We even heard the tinkle of bicycle bells quite frequently as well!
With an estimated $9 billion being put away to build jails and hire prison guards, you would think Mr. Harper could spare some funds for a new Children’s Hospital in Vancouver and some beds for the new hospital in Victoria. I guess Stephen thinks that everyone will be in jail and won’t need things like hospitals or schools. After all, if you’re rich enough, all those things are privately available. Through all the early snow recently, we held our first Film Festival at the Duncan Garage, showing Waiting to Inhale. It was very well attended, considering the weather, and so many people showed interest that we have been asked, not only come back for a repeat performance, but to also make it a monthly movie/discussion night. These will be held at 7:30 p.m. on the second Monday night of each month, in the Show Room at the Duncan Garage.
There is some good news on the cannabis front, though. Hempology 101 now has a club at the University of British Columbia (UBC) ratified, and a room booked for the 1st Convention on Jan. 28, 2011. A huge thank-you to Nai and the Social Justice Club of UBC for all their help and friendship.
The Annual Silent Art Auction held on Nov. 15, International Medical Marijuana Day, raised $800 for the Bakery Defense Fund. Ted and I would like to thank everyone who donated art, joined in the fun of the bidding wars, or just enjoyed the art. Another auction is planned to happen soon, so watch the walls!
Another thank you goes out to all the brave Cannabis Carolers who braved the cold and came out to sing with us this Holiday Season!
Hempy New Year to All, Love Gayle
pablofunk

by pablofunk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:31 am

California Dreaming
by Gayle Quin

“The Vote to Change the World” read headlines around the world. A hush seemed to fall as people had only dared to hope this day would come. Barely breathing, the whole world was watching. Go California, Go! You can do it if anybody can! Wow, legalized recreational cannabis on the continent in my lifetime! A dream come true at last. I’ve been fighting to free the herb since I was 13, and for those of you haven’t met me yet, I have a few white hairs on my head (I bypassed the grey).
Ted asked if I wanted to go to California for the election, so I said “you bet I do!” A little research later and I decided the Oaksterdam University was the place to go, and boy did that turn out right. I had met Amanda earlier at Hempfest. She wanted to take me to Oaksterdam University right then and there to meet and teach her friends. So a plane ticket (or two) was bought, and two days before the election I was on my way to San Francisco and Los Angeles for the first time in my life.
A gorgeous three hour plane ride later and there I was in San Francisco, and a 90°F heat wave! Then off to Oakland to find the Oaksterdam University. Good thing it was still daylight. I’m an Island girl, and things like subways and sky-trains are still fairly new to me. I find the ploy of walking up to a (in this case) BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) employee and say “I’m not from here, and fairly lost” worked very well. Folks loved to ask where I was from, and then the conversations were off and running when I said I was from Canada. After all, I didn’t travel all that way to hide in a closet. Everyone I met was super helpful, and the whole time I was gone I felt right at home. I found the Oaksterdam University and introduced myself, and let them know there were issues of the Cannabis Digest on the way. I asked where all the action was happening, and told them I was there to help. When they found out where I was from they thought I was nuts, but glad for the help and pointed me to Prop 19 headquarters a couple of blocks down the road. Wow. So far, so good. I haven’t gotten lost, missed a plane, or lost anything! And now I’m almost at the Proposition 19 headquarters! Talk about getting something right for once. What a sight!
There were people coming and going, with news cameras and interviews going on in any semi-quiet corner available. There were two rows of telephones set up, and other desks lining the walls with people at all of them—sometimes two or three at one desk—and a buzz like a beehive filled the room. It wasn’t long before someone noticed me staring at everything with my back pack still on. I let them know I was here from Canada to help in anyway they could use me. You’re from where? And you came to help? There was the brief pause and look of disbelief as “are you nuts?” went through their minds, then the look of gladness as it sunk in—yes I was nuts, but here to help! Then a joyous “Can you use a telephone and a computer? Put your pack over here. And there is lots of food around if you’re hungry. Just help yourself.” Talk about feeling welcome. 10 min. later I was at a desk making phone calls encouraging folks to vote. (Hmm, sounds just like home.) An hour later, it was time to find some medicine before the stores closed, so I asked where to go and took a break. The University ran a little shop called the Blue Sky Cafe, where you could get coffee and juice, good smoke and medibles, as well as clones produced by the school. They were excellent help when I told them I was chemically sensitive and needed clean herb. A snack, a coffee and juice, a smoke, and back to HQ for more phone calls.
Around 9-10 p.m. it was time to quit for the night. The Berkley YWCA was the closest and best place for me, but was full. So, a very nice lady let me a motel room for cash, once it was established I would be walking the rest of the night if she couldn’t.
First thing in the morning, I went to San Francisco and found a hostel, got my stuff stowed, then it was back to Oaksterdam. They needed help with phone calls and pavement pounding. Walking around seemed to help them and let me sight see at the same time, so list in hand, away I went. Things were okay until I noticed North was not on my map, found myself lost, and was back to saying “I’m not from here and seem to be lost.”
I headed back to HQ to get a better map, and off I went again. I got to walk through many neighbourhoods and meet folks who were enjoying each other’s company on their front steps, or working out in their gardens, getting lots of favourable responses when asked what I was doing. Everyone seemed to be in favour of smoking herb. One front yard had a lemon tree with fruit bigger than my fist. Datura plants were growing into hedges around the yards, as well as Hibiscus in full bloom. What a wonderful afternoon of visiting, and I had made it through my list as well. I stopped for supper on my way back to HQ to make more phone calls. We quit at about quarter to eight, as the polls closed at 8 p.m.
Jodie Emery stopped in and had her webcam on and linked to the Cannabis Culture web page. I filmed some of the evening, and it is now posted on Hempology 101’s forums. Everyone was very excited, and encouraging remarks filled the air. Over 100,000 calls were made, and after a loud round of cheers, everyone went to the Oaksterdam University to watch the election results which were being projected on the side of the building. The parking lot of the University was blocked off and being used as a gathering and filming centre. All seemed to be going well, except there seemed to be very few people in attendance—even the news casters commented on it. Oh well, election numbers were starting to come in. Prop 19 had a large gap of 34 percent in favour and 67 percent not, while it was 40/60 for taxing medical users. The numbers crept closer together, 40/60 in favour of Prop 19, then nothing at all. Prop 19 stats ceased to exist. Results to everything else kept coming through, but nothing on Prop 19.
Final results finally started to trickle in, including a resounding YES to taxing medical users by up to 85% in some counties. The air was tense. Then it flashed across the wall—proposition 19 defeated 33 percent yeah to 67 percent nay. What the heck? The questions started flying. The main one being why the vote to tax med users? In the end it was actually 46 percent for legalization and 54 percent against. That made a lot more sense. The folks of the University said they were going inside to broadcast their speech, which I filmed and is posted on our Hempology 101 forums.
Dale was a joy to meet and work with. Great headway was being made with local politicians she said, and it seems to be just a matter of wording to make everyone happy. Indeed, Governor Schwarzenegger had already signed a bill to downgrade possession of an ounce of herb to a misdemeanor. Four states are now working on getting legalization initiatives in next year’s election.
I managed to make my way back the next day. My timing was perfect to avoid being trampled by the swarm of people getting off the BART to go to the baseball parade. There were people, police, and pot smoke everywhere! They should have the polling stations at the ball parks, I can remember thinking. Maybe then they would vote. I went to the SUB building to visit with some of the folks I had met. I was great to hang, puff, and chat after how busy it had been the past few days. When they found out how much we charge for cookies at the club, they were all ready to come and visit us! I hope they do. As with all great times, these were coming to a close for me, time to visit some stores and ask some more questions.
I met Chad at The Patient ID Centre, which turned out to be what the original San Francisco Cannabis Buyers’ Club became after Prop 215 (the first medical cannabis proposition) passed 1996. He told me outdoor growers were against Prop 19. Many people want to see the plant set free. At least things were starting to make more sense, and questions were being answered. It really was a close vote! Just a matter of time.....
pablofunk

by pablofunk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:52 pm

From CD #28

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful feedback on our paper and articles. Sometimes I wonder...but then the papers keep disappearing!
Thanks to everyone for their help, encouragement, and patience through all the renovations of late. I never dreamed “the box” would morph into something so wonderful. We turned the speakers into the room, and it sounded like we were in the Buena Vista Social Club! Thank you very much Ted. We are trying to make a bunch of changes to help celebrate the 10 year anniversary of having a storefront by hosting a Pot-Luck Party on Apr. 1. No, it’s not a prank and if you missed it then you will have to come next year, though it is member + date event only. Do not worry, Ted knows he’s only got until noon to get his jokes in. Hmm, I wonder if I’ll get it together to make a pineapple upside-down cake...
The Club’s 15th Anniversary Pot-Luck Party was very well attended. We had three separate waves of guests arrive, with an incredible assortment of mostly vegetarian delights, and a fresh home made Halibut soup. The house was full, and so was everyone in it, for the whole evening. Thanks to all who participated. Watch the white board for up-coming events.
After all the months of standing on street corners, in Victoria and across the country (well, as far as Ontario), waving banners and flags, wondering if there was an opposition side to our government, the Liberal Party has finally found a voice and is standing up to the Conservative Party and Bill S-10. Let us not become complacent now though; please write, phone and e-mail the Liberal Party in your riding and in Ottawa and thank them and encourage them to continue with their opposition. Let them know your opinion on medical cannabis, too. They can’t help you if they haven’t heard from you. A big thanks to everyone who helped with the street meets, phone jams, email campaigns, and other fight S-10 activities. Now that an election has been called, we need all parties to recognize that this is a major issue to Canadians.
Health Canada is still waging a war on plants. Starting with pulling herbs from your local herbalist’s shelves, and now by trying to class Salvia (a non-addictive psycho-active plant) as a Schedule 3 drug, making it illegal to possess and use. At this rate dandelions and non-GMO roses will be next—and I’m not joking!
We have had many submissions to the colouring contest, and I’m glad you’re all enjoying colouring. Kristen and I had the great honour of meeting Jack Herer a couple of years ago at Hempfest, in Seattle. Jack was recovering from a massive stroke that had left him paralyzed on the left half of his body. He was using Cannabis and colouring as his therapeutic tools to recovery, and was doing a tremendous job of it. You can read more about his wonderful life in Cannabis Digest issue #25. The entries are on Hempology 101’s forums for all to view.
Don’t forget to check out the forums if you can’t make it to events, as we try to post video and photos of them later. It’s the best way to keep track of Ted and the group, and if you jump on “The Magic Bus,” you can join us for a live chat.
The 1st Annual Cannabis Convention at the University of British Columbia (UBC) went better than hoped. It was very well attended, with a packed room for most of the day. Everyone was very excited to be there, with folks coming from places like Kelowna, the Gulf Islands, and as far away as Calgary. Many new friendships started to bloom, as seems this plant encourages. The UBC students have continued to have weekly Hempology 101 meetings on Mondays. I was also blessed with meeting some people who have been using our recipe book as a base for experimenting and creating exciting new medicinal products. It is the ultimate compliment to be imitated and as a teacher—I feel fulfilled at work every day. We can hardly wait until next year! In fact, some us can’t, and Ted and I have been invited to, and will be holding, the 1st Annual Cannabis Convention at the UBC Kelowna Campus, in Oct. I am gratefully honoured.
Hempology 101 celebrated International Medical Marijuana Week for the first year the week of Feb. 13-20. It started with the annual cookie giveaway, and we couldn’t have been blessed with a nicer day. I think it’s everyone’s favourite day; if you couldn’t make it out, there’s a short clip on our web page. Herb most certainly had fun! It’s going to feel very strange this Nov...Our 7th Annual Art Auction raised $700 toward the legal defence fund. The donated art was more incredible than ever, and the auction was held at the Club as well the Rising Star Bakery on Broad St. The bidding at the club was as heated as usual, nearing closing time. The next Silent Art Auction will be happening sooner rather than later, as the Solstice Cafe has kindly offered space on their walls to hold a Fund raiser/Information booth for a month beginning in the middle of Apr. Hope to see you there! The week ended with my personal favourite day of the year, our Annual Cannabis Convention. Thanks to Dan, folks on-line were able to join us; and thanks to Steve, for those who couldn’t make it out or just want to watch if again, may do so on our web page. This year’s speakers were particularly exciting, with Ted and author Chris Bennett debating Soma and the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. We ended the eight day, nine event week, with a dance at the Sunset Room. And a joyful event it was.
Of all the things Ted and I get up to, absolutely nothing is as important as the time spent in court, for that is where change will occur. Also, with the wonderful Medical Marijuana Access Division in place, the same government that claims to be helping medical users of cannabis, are still putting (or trying to put) such wonderful people as Owen, Ted, Bill and Ernie, as well as others in Quebec and Ontario, into jail every day. I will not quit until this marvelous plant, and all the beautiful people I have come to know and love, no longer have to live in fear of persecution for want of an herb, and no one has to suffer a second for want of a cookie. So please rest up, and if you cannot make it to anything else, come to our court appearance. There will be many days of court, so don’t think you have to make all the dates, but please come to as many as possible. The Crown Prosecution must be shown how many people have their daily lives affected by this plant. Love and laughter to all, Gayle.
pablofunk

by pablofunk » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:52 am

from CD #29

By Gayle Quin

Spring was wonderful! With the long lasting winter, the blossoms were anxious to show their splendour. And with a seed bank open in town this year, there are many new happy, hopeful gardeners. Let’s hope for a great growing season!
Court is moving along as court does—slowly but surely. The preliminary court was cancelled, and Owen’s charge of trafficking has been reduced to possession as the result of there being no police officer willing to testify that possession of two half grams is proof of trafficking. Instead, there was a meeting to set dates. The next court date is Jan. 15, 2012, which is to meet the judge presiding over the case, and set more dates. Take good care of your health, and tell all your friends so we can have the courtroom packed full. Nothing could be more important for the future of our club! There will be a 20 day jury trial set, and we will be giving away 42 hemp burgers for lunch every day we are in session. Here’s to Ted, fighting for cannabis in the courtroom and giving away hemp food on the back lawn! You rock, Ted!
If you didn’t get a chance to have a hemp patty in June, you will get a second chance to try the delicious creation in January. Thank goodness we get to BBQ them!
I am very pleased to announce we have cross-referenced our product guide to the old issues of the Cannabis Digest. This will allow you to go online to find more information on the products I have discussed in my articles. Please keep in mind that this information is not complete, and there are more uses for the products and their ingredients than we have mentioned. I greatly appreciate everyone’s feedback.
We would like to thank everyone for their patience throughout the renovations, and we hope that you are enjoying the new vapour lounge. Team 420 is busting to move this year. Thanks to a wonderful break in the weather, we actually had a fantastic day for Herb’s run in the Times Columnist 10 km race. He did an amazing one hour and six minute run, complete with a half way bong hitting station. We would like to thank everyone who helped. There are clips on our YouTube page <www.youtube/hempology101> We were, and still are, having excellent turnouts for the weekly Thursday dodgeball sessions, so we entered the Vancouver Island Dodgeball Tournament. We got smoked, but had a heck of a lot of fun all day. It’s good, free fun and will happen again next June if you missed it. We are still having weekly games so ask around for the location. On Sept. 24, we will be playing frisbee golf in East Sooke Park. It is a wonderful day to get out for a picnic and have fun. Keep an eye on the whiteboard or webpage for other upcoming events. Reach for the Pot had an excellent turnout despite the hockey games. You just can’t beat it for live entertainment. The air is tense and filled with smoke. You really have to see it to believe it. It’s my favourite time of the year (except for Cannabis Caroling, of course).
Deliveries up-Island are only going to be once a month. It has been so slow that we are going to venture forth the first week of every month. We have met many wonderful people and helped others start new ventures. Others are working hard to start new clubs, and we will keep you posted as to their progress.
Our 16th Anniversary is going down Sept. 7 with a march from Centennial Square, that begins at 7 p.m., to the Legislative buildings. Hope to see you all there.
UVic lecture series will also begin Sept. 14, be sure to check online to find out which room it will be held in. This is the 6th year of lectures. Yahoo! We hope to have many exciting guest speakers. UBC lecture series is being postponed due to my health.
The gas chromatograph we obtained was too old to be revived, as our funds are too desperately needed for the upcoming court case. Please don’t be dismayed as a new, more up to date machine will come our way when we are ready.
When in Rome…We have no hemp,, so have been using cannabis stalk to learn to make concrete. Ted has been having fun playing with Canncrete experiments, and each week he has a go at it is a new experiment. You can watch his progress on the YouTube channel, and thank you to all of those who have donated their stalk. .
Many of our projects have been temporally put on hold and/or cancelled due to my health. I’ve been struggling with breast cancer and have finally found help and am on the road to recovery. I can’t thank everyone enough for all their care, love, and support for myself and Ted through this difficult time. I am sorry for those who I’ve missed, it was very sudden. I look forward to writing a special article, and being able to help more people through similar experiences, as I learn more about it. I hope everybody has a wonderful summer. Hemp, Hemp, Horary!
pablofunk

by pablofunk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:50 am

From CD#30

Although summer took a long time to come, it was packed full of fun and lots of hard work. The Reach For the Pot Tournament was full of excitement and fun with team “Smoke on the Water” screaming to the top! Congratulations to Brandi, Fayaz, Jason, and John. This year’s contest winners are: Best T-Shirt: Rocky; Best Pipe: Dan, and Bong: Lotus; and Best Joint Rollers: Liam and James.
On Sept. 7, we started the 16th Anniversary of Hempology 101 celebrations by holding a handful of rallies to protest Health Canada’s proposed changes to the MMAR program. This was done while Ted was in a meeting with Health Canada officials in Vancouver. Later in the afternoon, we held the first 4:20 of the school year at the University of Victoria. Finally, the International Hempology 101 Society held its 16th Anniversary March, which was very well attended this year. We paraded from Centennial Square to the Legislative Buildings, where we had a photo taken for the annual postcard. We also gave out the personal trophy bongs to the winners of Reach For The Pot, and prizes for the contests. The Jack Herer Bowl for Most Valiant Player in the tournament was given to Brandi. You can check out the video and pics on the Hempology 101 YouTube channel and forums.
Ted went to Vancouver to get the Hempology 101 Club at UBC up and running and it looks to be off to a fine start. Nai and Graehame were excited to be back and are getting a first hand experience of democracy in action. There was some discussion of the ropers (pro hemp) splitting from the tokers (pro cannabis), but in the end agreed it was all one plant and they could work together. The Vancouver Island University Hempology 101 Club is doing well with Amie, one of our writers, as president this year. Both clubs will be hosting their second conventions this Jan. and March.
The lectures have started at UVic again, as always they are free and lots of fun. They are being held in the old club Vertigo in the SUB Building, not room 110b as some earlier posters suggested. Remember, if you can’t make it out to the University, we broadcast live on stickam (you can chat and ask questions, but Dan types with one finger so be patient please) and post them on the Hempology 101 YouTube page as well.
Team 420 has gone well this summer, too, with weekly dodgeball games starting every week on the backlawn of the downtown courthouse every Thurs. at 4:20, and weekly soccer games at the old field behind the BC Smoke Shop on Quadra St. every Sat. at 4:20.
I’ve spent a good part of my life wondering what was wrong with everyone until I discovered I was ahead of my time. An early warning signal, or canary in the coal mine if you will. The universe has a great sense of humour, and this is how it is teaching me patience. So, it is a great encouragement for me to hear people other than myself and Ted finally being concerned over Mr. Harper’s proposed crime bill. It is never too late for anything but non-action. Get in touch with your local MP and MLA, and write a letter or email parliament (it’s free).
The biggest problem with having breast cancer (beside losing my right breast) was trying to find a doctor. Our health care system is not what it was 10 years ago. You now have to go to a clinic and wait—and wait—and then you had better not tell your doctor you use cannabis as medicine. My whole life I have been honest with my doctors. In the 1990s, Dr. Graham even documented how cannabis helped save my life after being diagnosed with Hep. C and given the prognosis of death within five years.
Since the introduction of the MMAR, though, I have had such responses as, “We do not help your type here,” “I do not believe you have been as sick as you say you have been,” and “You are probably going to need surgery but I do not have hospital privileges.” The responses used to be, “Thank goodness it is not tobacco,” “It will not hurt you,” “Do not worry about it,” and “Keep it up.” How times change.
But this article is about my dance with cancer. Once you get their attention they will want to hack you up right away, and if you do not do things on their schedule they will make you wait.
My first time to the hospital was for a mammogram that produced positive results, so it was into the next room for an ultrasound that produced positive results, also. So a specialist came to talk to me and said he could do a biopsy in 20 min. for me. I said I did not want one and that I just wanted to see a surgeon. Two weeks later, the surgeon said he would not operate without doing a biopsy first. A positive mammogram is justification for surgery and they will do a biopsy when they knock you out to see how extensive the cancer is, so having a biopsy is not really necessary, in my opinion. According to Susan Weed, in her book Breast Cancer? Breast Health! the Wise Woman Way, 90 percent of tests come back inconclusive, adding to the waiting time while putting the body through the hell of a small surgery.
After cancer surgery, I was told there is a six to eight week recovery period which is turning into more like six to eight months. I am starting on month four now. I know my ceiling intimately, and discovered I really like animé. I feel like I am hopefully half way to being recovered.
I was told by the lady in the hospital bed next to me that “ice would be my friend.” Small ice packs have been helpful to keep swelling under control. Big ones are too heavy. I eat turmeric and frankincense every day because they are good anti-inflammatories, but eating cannabis is the best to relieve the inflammation. I have been ingesting one bottle of Cannoil each day so that I can sleep and be in as little pain as possible. I make a big smoothie with most of my meds in it and have a cup three times a day. I put one and a half cups of fruit juice—preferably apple, one cup of yogurt, one bottle of Cannoil, one tablespoon of fractionated pectin, one teaspoon of vitamin C crystals, one tablespoon of aloe vera gel, one tablespoon of ground flax seeds, two tablespoons of hemp hearts, and one cup of frozen fruit into a blender. I drink this morning, afternoon, and evening.
The fractionated pectin keeps loosened cancer cells from re-adhering and now I just take it three days a week. I also take two tablespoons of ground flax seeds daily as a replacement for tamoxifen, a hormone therapy often given under the circumstances. As well as in the smoothie, I put one tablespoon on some cottage cheese and eat that every day, too. All of these foods help fight cancer according to my naturopath and the books I have read.
I was not healing as fast as I thought I should be, and it turned out I received a rotator cuff injury during the operation that was not treated. As a result, my shoulder has been very sore, something I did not expect.
In the next issue I will explain my naturopathic treatments and cancer fighting foods.
pablofunk

by pablofunk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:50 am

From CD#30

Although summer took a long time to come, it was packed full of fun and lots of hard work. The Reach For the Pot Tournament was full of excitement and fun with team “Smoke on the Water” screaming to the top! Congratulations to Brandi, Fayaz, Jason, and John. This year’s contest winners are: Best T-Shirt: Rocky; Best Pipe: Dan, and Bong: Lotus; and Best Joint Rollers: Liam and James.
On Sept. 7, we started the 16th Anniversary of Hempology 101 celebrations by holding a handful of rallies to protest Health Canada’s proposed changes to the MMAR program. This was done while Ted was in a meeting with Health Canada officials in Vancouver. Later in the afternoon, we held the first 4:20 of the school year at the University of Victoria. Finally, the International Hempology 101 Society held its 16th Anniversary March, which was very well attended this year. We paraded from Centennial Square to the Legislative Buildings, where we had a photo taken for the annual postcard. We also gave out the personal trophy bongs to the winners of Reach For The Pot, and prizes for the contests. The Jack Herer Bowl for Most Valiant Player in the tournament was given to Brandi. You can check out the video and pics on the Hempology 101 YouTube channel and forums.
Ted went to Vancouver to get the Hempology 101 Club at UBC up and running and it looks to be off to a fine start. Nai and Graehame were excited to be back and are getting a first hand experience of democracy in action. There was some discussion of the ropers (pro hemp) splitting from the tokers (pro cannabis), but in the end agreed it was all one plant and they could work together. The Vancouver Island University Hempology 101 Club is doing well with Amie, one of our writers, as president this year. Both clubs will be hosting their second conventions this Jan. and March.
The lectures have started at UVic again, as always they are free and lots of fun. They are being held in the old club Vertigo in the SUB Building, not room 110b as some earlier posters suggested. Remember, if you can’t make it out to the University, we broadcast live on stickam (you can chat and ask questions, but Dan types with one finger so be patient please) and post them on the Hempology 101 YouTube page as well.
Team 420 has gone well this summer, too, with weekly dodgeball games starting every week on the backlawn of the downtown courthouse every Thurs. at 4:20, and weekly soccer games at the old field behind the BC Smoke Shop on Quadra St. every Sat. at 4:20.
I’ve spent a good part of my life wondering what was wrong with everyone until I discovered I was ahead of my time. An early warning signal, or canary in the coal mine if you will. The universe has a great sense of humour, and this is how it is teaching me patience. So, it is a great encouragement for me to hear people other than myself and Ted finally being concerned over Mr. Harper’s proposed crime bill. It is never too late for anything but non-action. Get in touch with your local MP and MLA, and write a letter or email parliament (it’s free).
The biggest problem with having breast cancer (beside losing my right breast) was trying to find a doctor. Our health care system is not what it was 10 years ago. You now have to go to a clinic and wait—and wait—and then you had better not tell your doctor you use cannabis as medicine. My whole life I have been honest with my doctors. In the 1990s, Dr. Graham even documented how cannabis helped save my life after being diagnosed with Hep. C and given the prognosis of death within five years.
Since the introduction of the MMAR, though, I have had such responses as, “We do not help your type here,” “I do not believe you have been as sick as you say you have been,” and “You are probably going to need surgery but I do not have hospital privileges.” The responses used to be, “Thank goodness it is not tobacco,” “It will not hurt you,” “Do not worry about it,” and “Keep it up.” How times change.
But this article is about my dance with cancer. Once you get their attention they will want to hack you up right away, and if you do not do things on their schedule they will make you wait.
My first time to the hospital was for a mammogram that produced positive results, so it was into the next room for an ultrasound that produced positive results, also. So a specialist came to talk to me and said he could do a biopsy in 20 min. for me. I said I did not want one and that I just wanted to see a surgeon. Two weeks later, the surgeon said he would not operate without doing a biopsy first. A positive mammogram is justification for surgery and they will do a biopsy when they knock you out to see how extensive the cancer is, so having a biopsy is not really necessary, in my opinion. According to Susan Weed, in her book Breast Cancer? Breast Health! the Wise Woman Way, 90 percent of tests come back inconclusive, adding to the waiting time while putting the body through the hell of a small surgery.
After cancer surgery, I was told there is a six to eight week recovery period which is turning into more like six to eight months. I am starting on month four now. I know my ceiling intimately, and discovered I really like animé. I feel like I am hopefully half way to being recovered.
I was told by the lady in the hospital bed next to me that “ice would be my friend.” Small ice packs have been helpful to keep swelling under control. Big ones are too heavy. I eat turmeric and frankincense every day because they are good anti-inflammatories, but eating cannabis is the best to relieve the inflammation. I have been ingesting one bottle of Cannoil each day so that I can sleep and be in as little pain as possible. I make a big smoothie with most of my meds in it and have a cup three times a day. I put one and a half cups of fruit juice—preferably apple, one cup of yogurt, one bottle of Cannoil, one tablespoon of fractionated pectin, one teaspoon of vitamin C crystals, one tablespoon of aloe vera gel, one tablespoon of ground flax seeds, two tablespoons of hemp hearts, and one cup of frozen fruit into a blender. I drink this morning, afternoon, and evening.
The fractionated pectin keeps loosened cancer cells from re-adhering and now I just take it three days a week. I also take two tablespoons of ground flax seeds daily as a replacement for tamoxifen, a hormone therapy often given under the circumstances. As well as in the smoothie, I put one tablespoon on some cottage cheese and eat that every day, too. All of these foods help fight cancer according to my naturopath and the books I have read.
I was not healing as fast as I thought I should be, and it turned out I received a rotator cuff injury during the operation that was not treated. As a result, my shoulder has been very sore, something I did not expect.
In the next issue I will explain my naturopathic treatments and cancer fighting foods.
pablofunk

Next

Return to Victoria Cannabis Buyers Club

• Advertisement